Sensitive Tips for Children
- Soap can be an irritant and can cause eczema flare-ups in babies and young children. Use soap free washes in the bath or stick to just warm water and cotton wool in young babies.
- Fragrance in products like washing detergents and fabric softeners can also irritate delicate, eczema prone skin. Choosing a fragrance free washing detergent to wash babies and children’s clothes and bedding in can help.
- Moisturising young skin is the best form of protection. You may be advised by your doctor to use an emollient cream and a short course of steroid creams can also be very effective at treating eczema for little ones.
- Reduce exposure to other possible allergens in the home such as dogs, cats, and dust mites by washing bedding and soft toys often.
- Certain fabrics can irritate eczema and make it worse. Stick to cotton rather than synthetic fabrics. Keeping cool is important, hot sweating conditions can trigger skin issues.