You’ll be spending a lot of time washing your kids’ clothing over the years. Here’s exactly what you need to know about how to wash children’s clothes and take care of your child’s sensitive skin.
- Soap can be an irritant that may cause eczema flare-ups in babies and young children. Use soap-free washes in the bath or simply stick to warm water and cotton wool for young babies.
- Fragrance in products like washing detergents and fabric softeners can also irritate delicate, eczema prone skin. Choosing a fragrance-free washing detergent to wash babies and children’s clothes and bedding can help reduce this problem.
- Moisturising young skin is the best form of protection from developing eczema. You might want to consider moisturising twice a day – once after bathing and once during the day. Also, ensure that the moisturiser is thick – the thicker the better!
- Reduce exposure to other possible allergens in the home such as dogs, cats, and dust mites by washing bedding and soft toys often.
- Certain fabrics can irritate eczema and make it worse. Stick to cotton rather than synthetic fabrics, as these may also increase your babies temperature which can be another irritant for sensitive skin.